Rather than having New Year’s resolutions that are quickly broken, my friends & I choose one word as a way of setting intention for the whole year. It is a word that inspires and resonates….that calls you into being.
My friend, Mindful Mimi, mentioned she was inspired by both the words “Create” & “Soar”. I was particularly inspired by the word “Soar” myself (and took it for my 2010 word!)… it has such a lighthearted, happy ease to it.
When I was preparing to send her a package of hand-made goodies from across the ocean, I decided to pull out my silversmithing supplies to create a piece of jewelry she could wear. I wanted to make something that would remind her that dreams come true, if you only have the courage to leap and trust that the universe will provide all that you need.
I came up with the below design…
The quote reads, “Leap & you will sprout wings”.
Want to make one for yourself? Just follow the below simple instructions:
1. Use a jewelry saw to cut out a circle (approximately 1″ in diameter) from a piece of 24-gauge silver.
2. Hand-stamp the quote “Leap & you will sprout wings” using a metal alphabet set.
(I used these economical alphabet stamps from Harbor Freight Tools.)
3. Drill a small hole in the top for the bail.
4. Sand the whole piece.
5. Dip the stamped circle into a liver of sulfur solution to antique the lettering (alternatively use a black sharpie marker if you don’t have liver of sulfur available).
6. Polish the silver circle to a shine (removing any dark areas from the liver of sulfur).
7. Take some sterling silver thin-gauge wire (mine came from Hobby Lobby) & two small red freshwater pearls, winding the wire through the hole several times to create a custom bail
8. Attach a pre-made sterling butterfly charm with a few small jump rings and string onto a sterling chain.
Wishing you a wonderful day of creating and soaring,